Sign In
Cook Children's Health Plan

Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation

STAR Kids Child

How do I report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation?

You have the right to respect and dignity, including freedom from abuse, neglect, and exploitation. Click the below sections to view information on reporting abuse and fraud.

What are abuse, neglect and exploitation?

Abuse is mental, emotional, physical or sexual injury, or failure to prevent such injury.

Neglect results in starvation, dehydration, overmedicating or under medicating, unsanitary living conditions, etc. Neglect also includes lack of heat, running water, electricity, medical care and personal hygiene.

Exploitation is misusing the resources of another person for personal or monetary gain. This includes taking Social Security or SSI (Supplemental Security Income) checks, abusing a joint checking account and taking property and other resources.

Reporting abuse, neglect and exploitation

The law requires that you report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation, including unapproved use of restraints or isolation that is committed by a provider.

Call 9-1-1 for life-threatening or emergency situations.

Report by Phone (non-emergency)
24 hours a days, 7 days a week, toll-free

Report to the Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) by calling 1-800-647-7418 if the person being abused, neglected or exploited lives in, or receives services from a:

  • Nursing facility
  • Assisted living facility
  • Adult day care center
  • Licensed adult foster care provider
  • Home or Community Support Services Agency (HCSSA) or Home Health Agency

Suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation by a HCSSA must also be reported to the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS).

Report all other suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation to DFPS by calling 1-800-252-5400.

Report electronically (non-emergency)

Go to This is a secure website. You will need to create a password-protected account and profile.

Helpful information for filing a report

When reporting abuse, neglect or exploitation, it is helpful to have the names, ages, addresses and phone number of everyone involved.

Do you want to report waste, abuse or fraud?

Let us know if you think a doctor, dentist, pharmacist at a drug store, other health care providers or a person getting benefits is doing something wrong. Doing something wrong could be waste, abuse or fraud, which is against the law. For example, tell us if you think someone is:

  • Getting paid for services that weren't given or necessary.
  • Not telling the truth about a medical condition to get medical treatment.
  • Letting someone else use their Medicaid ID.
  • Using someone else's Medicaid ID.
  • Not telling the truth about the amount of money or resources he or she has to get benefits.

To report waste, abuse or fraud, choose one of the following:

  • Call the OIG Hotline at 1-800-436-6184
  • Visit Under the box labeled "I WANT TO" click "Report Waste, Abuse, and Fraud" to complete the online form
  • You can report directly to your health plan:
    Cook Children's Health Plan
    Attn: Fraud, Waste, and Abuse
    P. O. Box 2488
    Fort Worth, TX 76113-2488

To report waste, abuse or fraud, gather as much information as possible.

When reporting about a provider (a doctor, dentist, counselor, etc.) include:

  • Name, address and phone number of provider
  • Name and address of the facility (hospital, nursing home, home health agency, etc.)
  • Medicaid number of the provider and facility, if you have it
  • Type of provider (doctor, dentist, therapist, pharmacist, etc.)
  • Names and phone numbers of other witnesses who can help in the investigation
  • Dates of events
  • Summary of what happened

When reporting about someone who gets benefits, include:

  • The person's name
  • The person's date of birth, Social Security Number or case number if you have it
  • The city where the person lives
  • Specific details about the waste, abuse, or fraud